Google, Accessibility and Professional Social Sharing

with 2 Comments

Google Yourself!

So I did google myself and my facebook account came up which is fairly private but I have plans to make it more so. Our super cool egg experiment also came up which I didnt know I made public… Sorry Gabrielle! Also ALOT of material came up in regards to my previous employment at the Sooke School distinct Nature Kindergarten project. Old blog posts on the NK blog, news clips, news articles, journal articles, many photos of me working, videos, conferences I have presented at… It was toooo many to count. Although not bad it was overwhelming to see so much of me. My least favourite is this photo! https://www.google.com/search?q=erin+van+stone&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01d1Ni_bLS5eQIaoMy7QOTNnBCJng:1612134563327&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEkuifpcfuAhUdCTQIHYZVAQYQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1536&bih=750&dpr=1.25#imgrc=61zc8h5W697DJM

Professional Social media

Having been an ECE and a domestic violence counsellor or many years I had my social media fairly locked down. I was very aware that I was going to be looked on up social media often. As Jesse Millar demonstrated, it is very very important to think deeply about what and how you share on the internet.

His TEDx talk really made me think deeper about my own children’s connection to technology and how I can develop their knowledge about the vast media and tech’s reach. It made me think deeper about how I use technology with my children. Up until very recently we didnt post photos of our kids online, for some reason we have slightly moved away from that, with a few photos creeping into our media.

Listen to his TEDx here:

Accessibility

I feel terrible that I honestly had never considered the accessibility of the internet beyond having a device. I never considered the accessibility of social media to people who have a disability. After exploring the Microsoft accessibility checker, I realized that depending on how you write your document it can be accessible or inaccessible. I hadn’t thought of ensuring that I add descriptions to photos to help people who cannot see. See my short video attempt at closed captions!

After reading and watching the UVIC accessibility rules, I really considered all the different people who have varying abilities and how we need to ensure can access content. I had considered abilities such as vision, hearing and movement but the uvic site showed me that I had failed to consider someone who may have thinking considerations or temporary difficulties such as pain or sensory concerns.

Check out their very informative video here!http://www.uvic.ca/websites/accessibility/

Scanning some of the twitter resources I most enjoyed the accessibility librarian! I learned SO much after just scanning her posts. You can find her at https://twitter.com/A11yLibrarian

Here is my video where I practice adding captions to videos!

2 Responses

1. jaimem
    |

Isn’t googling yourself slightly terrifying?! I think it is sort of awesome what shows up for you in terms of the Nature K stuff though – I think that would definitely be seen as having a ‘positive profile’! Also, I loved your video about adding closed captions, you did a great job! I should definitely look into doing that for my own videos too. Thanks Erin!

2. robynj
    |

I had similar feeling about googling myself! I really appreciated what you shared about accessibility. The accessibility librarian is such a great resource, I look forward to taking more time to further explore ways to make my own online content more accessible for everyone!